Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Can't life ever just level out?



This picture sums up my life currently. Sometimes I look at the page hits that my blog gets for the week and I think to myself "man, that's sort of how my entire life looks." It's up and down and up and down. Just when I think I'm getting things back on track, and I'm on a pretty steady uptrend, the next thing I know I get side swiped by something that knocks me back down a few pegs. I'm not entirely sure if it's supposed to be a consistent humbling process (I don't consider myself to be THAT arrogant...) or if it's just bad luck, but I'm sort of getting exhausted by the cycle. Hell, I don't even need to stay on a constant positive streak, I'd be content to have things level out for a bit.

On a related note, while I appreciate the sentiments of friends who chime in with an encouraging cliche here and there; it just doesn't help. I don't want to hear that "this to shall pass" or "things will get better friend!" It's mundane and over-rated. Anyone who's been in a down mood knows the feeling...sometimes you just want to be allowed to have a bad day.

So, what do YOU do when you're in a slump, or rut that you just can't seem to get out of? I'd love to know.

5 comments:

  1. close the curtains, sleep a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change your routine. Stop doing what is comfortable and mix up your schedule and typical way of doing things. Get up an hour early. Go for a walk during your lunch hour instead of scarfing down food. Get out of the house and write in a park or coffeehouse. Turn off the TV and finish that book you only got part way through. Adopt a personal (different nationality, age, gender, etc.) and so some free writing as that character. Don't worry about authenticity, this is just to exercise your mind and imagination, you aren't going to share it with anyone. Your writing can get flabby and you need to change your routine if you want to find inspiration and energy.

    There are many websites and books with writing prompts or advice. Read them, take what seems useful (or challenging), forget the rest. Just know that what is plaguing you is not an uncommon problem and there are things you can do to get yourself out of your bad mood and frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...not only do I hate slumps, but I hate cliched statements as well.

    What do I do? Play mahjong, cry, pray, make up stories in my head, sit and stare at the hand prints on my wall from the kids, watch something funny...and the most common? Wait for it to move along. Because sometimes, I actually enjoy putting my head down and thinking, "Now what" and don't WANT to do anything else.

    Sharon from EA
    http://sharon-moms-madhouse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you write something about keeping cool during downtime?


    http://socialpositive.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly how you feel - particularly since I blog for clients, too, and my own blog(s) are now suffering from cobbler's kid syndrome. Liz's suggestions are pretty rock solid. Will work on internalizing them myself =)

    ReplyDelete